The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College (El Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños, CENTRO) seeks a newSenior Director. CENTRO is an internationally recognized research institute dedicated to the study, interpretation, and preservation of the Puerto Rican experience in the United States. Over the past five decades, CENTRO scholars have used our extensive Library and Archives to produce benchmark publications. The work of CENTRO scholars has transformed the field of Puerto Rican Studies and contributed substantially to public discourse and policy discussions. CENTROcontributes to public policy that impacts the Puerto Rican community in the US and abroad and celebrates the rich art, culture, and history of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican Diaspora.
The Senior Director will establish and implement an ambitious vision for CENTRO’s future, identifying new research opportunities and funding streams and further enhancing the center’s exceptional reputation. TheSenior Director will also managean annual budget of over $4 million and a full-time and part-time staff of 50 employees. As the steward of CENTRO’s resources, theSenior Director willshape the relationship between the center and the public by linking it to the Puerto Rican community, donors, Hunter College administration, New York City’s elected officials and policy makers, and a network of collaborating research institutions.
Reporting to the Provost of Hunter College, the Senior Director will manage the extensive CENTRO research portfolio and have oversight over the following:
- The CENTRO Library and Archives, the most extensiveuniversity-based collection dedicated to the Puerto Rican experience in the nation.
- CENTRO Publications and Media, including CENTRO Journal, PR Voices, CENTRO Press, and films, which are used to disseminate crucial information about the Puerto Rican experience and contribution to the political, economic, and social cultures of the United States.
- The CENTRO Data Hub, which generates robust research and analysis using publicly available data.
- CENTRO Education Programs, which develop curricula and educational materials for the use of historical and cultural heritage content for undergraduate, middle and high schools students, and the general public.
The Senior Director will be responsible for:
- Providing guidance for research design and implementation that utilizes CENTRO’s vast archival collection.
- Engaging faculty members and identifying funding opportunities to support CENTRO’s mission.
- Building partnerships with a variety of university and community stakeholders to maintain engagement with CENTRO’s mission.
- Leading the development and execution of CENTRO’s annual programmatic assessment and evaluation.
- Creating and maintaining a positive organizational culture among a diverse faculty and student personnel.
- Implementing CENTRO’scommunications strategy and communications plan, including the dissemination of the center’s research to external networks.
- Collaborating with the Offices of External Affairs and Institutional Advancement to identify and cultivate a pipeline of prospective donors for philanthropic support.
Doctorate insocial sciences, education, law, social policy/work or the humanities appropriate to CENTRO’s mission. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, demonstrated scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
- Demonstrated history of committed involvement with and intimate knowledge of the complex social and political dynamics of Puerto Rican community affairs in the United States.
- Experience with innovative strategies for leading a world-class research institute/center/program.
- Experience as anintellectual leader with a strong record of scholarly publications.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines and manage multiple demands and/or projects.
- Demonstrated success with fundraising and grants management.
- A commitment to the mission of public higher education.
- A candidate who is fully bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Excellent verbal, written, and management skills.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencingemployment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance withapplicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose ofan authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day ofemployment.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Prof.: $83,878- $162,365
Associate Prof.:$67,784- $117,805
Assistant Prof.:$52,267- $99,532
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website www.cuny.edu/employment. To search for this vacancy, click on SEARCH ALL POSTINGS and in SEARCH JOBS field, enter the Job Opening ID number 25677. Click on the “APPLY NOW” button and follow the application instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account.
Please have your documents available to attach into the application before you begin. Note, the required material must be uploaded as ONE document under CV/ Resume (do not upload individual files for a cover letter, references, etc.). The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover Letter and/ or Statement of scholarly interests
- Curriculum Vitae/ Resume
- Names and contact information of 3 references
Upload all documents as ONE single file– PDF format preferred.
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on December 7, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.